Learning Management Systems (LMS) Market Research
This era is exciting because everything is evolving. Almost all manual jobs are now fast-becoming computerized. One such task is classroom teaching. Educators no longer have to lecture school groups, or company employees face to face. The days of classroom discussions and handing out course materials are over. What is changing? People are teaching and learning via computer programs or LMS-Learning Management Systems.
What is an LMS?
LMS are computer software programs. Users can develop training programs and eLearning courses via the Internet for students. Using LMS can be very beneficial to both educators and students. They can choose from many different available applications based on specific requirements. Students learn at their own pace, with monitoring from trainers. Some well known LMS include Tutor, Moodle, and Google Classroom. Blackboard Learning System, eCollege, and WebCT are a few others.
Who uses it? Why?
Anyone who delivers training or lessons can use LMS. It has many advantages over the old way of teaching/learning. The primary users are colleges and universities. Business corporations also use LMS. They are valuable for employee training. They equip employees with the tools necessary to function in their professional capacities. LMS is the practical choice of many because of it being most current and up to date. In an age of computer learning, students are likely to grasp LMS procedures quickly.
How it works
Generally, LMS allows users to design and manage courses. Professors and teachers can also upload pre-existing courses. Education institutions can distribute coursework and content rapidly to students and professors. Administration staff and teachers can give different levels of access to different people. Once enrollment is complete students have access to course content. Students can also access all other data regarding the completion of the program including the syllabus, teacher bios, course packs, and attachments. Learning Management Systems also allow students to upload assignments, quizzes, and exams. The course designer can generate reports based on students’ performance and development, and efficiently and accurately distribute grading to students.
Open universities that offer overseas learning use LMS. These learning systems use a three-part log-in system: administrator, teacher, and student. An admin user creates the course. The teachers and students, who are the primary users, interact on blogs and forums. The teacher is also able to track online student activity.
Learning Management Systems offer many opportunities to the trainers and learners. They are also an excellent resource for the companies that use them.
- Students can work and study at the same time.
- Training for staff – learning is as easy as one click away.
- Professional training makes the work team more effective. Employees can use the time saved by LMS in other profitable areas.
- Companies can educate potential customers about products and services. LMS offer the option of online quizzes and surveys to make this process easier.
- It’s easier and more efficient to distribute course content to students. Universities and educational institutions spend less money on paper and training facilities when they use LMS.
- Many jobs are available as administrators, course designers, trainers, and tutors.
- Advancements in cloud computing have dramatically improved the quality and functionality of LMS solutions.
On the downside, LMS has a few challenges. These challenges can discourage users from choosing this method of teaching. Here are a few:
- Lack of human contact can cause demotivation because of the human need to socialize.
- Because of the lack of engagement, students can become unmotivated and bored.
- Lack of focus as students do some studies at home and in personal spaces.
LMS users conduct periodic Usability Tests to ensure the integrity of the system. Willing test subjects must go through the entire process. Administrators, Course Designers, and even students must undergo sample testing. This testing ensures that the process is usable from beginning to end. Testers can identify glitches in the process that can make it unusable, and then file reports. These reports allow the Administrator to go back to the drawing board if necessary.
LMS systems have redefined learning. It has taken learning out of the limiting walls of the classroom. Because learning is now on the internet, it is more accessible to everyone.
About SIS EdTech Market Research and Consulting
SIS International Research conducts Market Research, Data Collection, and Strategy Research for technology firms, start ups and Educational Institutions. We provide
- Focus Groups
- Usability Testing
- Customer Surveys
- Purchasing & Decision Maker Research
- B2G Market Research
- Strategic Research
- Competitive Assessments
- Digital Innovation Research
- Strategic Market Opportunity, Sizing and Entry Assessments