The aeronautics, aviation and aerospace industry is booming and is one of the fastest growing industries in the world.
The demand for pilots is increasing and the projected demand for professionals in the aviation and aeronautics industry is at an all time high because of the aging population of pilots.
There is a great potential for growth over the next few years.
Current trends in the European aeronautics industry involve the full support and numerous investments in research and development of the field. The industry opens room for employment opportunities. However, there are not enough academic institutions to meet the demand.
Issues concerning the aeronautic industry are affecting the trends in how the field is being studied. Some of those issues are:
The greening of air transport
The move towards greater environmental awareness has led to the creation of courses such as Aviation Environmental Science and Environmental Engineering.
Improving cost efficiency
High fuel costs will create higher demands for innovative practices, especially in the development of fuel-efficient aircrafts.
Ensuring customer satisfaction, safety and security
Issues concerning the security and safety of customers and clients have been the main concern of airline companies over the years. The sustainable improvement in the delivery of services offered by airlines and aircrafts is what makes the industry more competitive.
Increasing time efficiency
In line with ensuring customer satisfaction, safety and security, there is a need for effective air traffic control systems to ensure the time efficiency of flights.
Pioneering the air transport of the future
With the move towards environmental-friendly means in the creation and operation of air vessels and with the advent of globalization, more innovative concepts are needed to ensure the sustainability of the study. This will generate greater demands for further studies, research and development in the field.
Countries in the Middle East, specifically Abu Dhabi, are getting their pilots from Southeast and East Asian countries such as Malaysia, Singapore, Philippines, Japan, and China. A list of well-known and credible schools offering aeronautics and aviation courses in different regions are provided below:
- Inter-Excel Advisory (Malaysia)
- Indovia Training (Indonesia)
- Indian Aviation Academy (India)
- Asian Aviation Academy (India)
- Kompas Aviation (India)
- Sristys Aviation (India)
- PASTA Academy (Pakistan)
- PATTS School of Aeronautics (Philippines)
- AirLink International Aviation School (Philippines)
- Indiana Aviation University (Philippines)
- Civil Aviation University of China (China)
- Northwestern Polytechnic University (China)
- Nanjiang Technological University
Regulations and Policies
In order to practice their profession, aeronautical engineers must pass the aeronautical engineer licensure exam. Pilots must apply for certification in order to be allowed to fly aircrafts and air vessels.
In the US, a list of medical conditions is provided by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) to inform applicants of the possibility of being disqualified in their application for medical certification . The medical conditions listed by the FAA are as follows:
- Angina pectoris
- Bipolar disease
- Cardiac valve replacement
- Coronary heart disease that has been treated or, if untreated, that has been symptomatic or clinically significant
- Diabetes mellitus requiring hypoglycemic medications
- Disturbance of consciousness without satisfactory explanation of cause
- Heart replacement
- Myocardial infarction
- Permanent cardiac pacemaker
- Personality disorder that is severe enough to have repeatedly manifested itself by overt acts
- Substance abuse
- Substance dependence
- Transient loss of control of nervous system function(s) without satisfactory explanation of cause
Dependence on Reputation
The public perception of business aviation safety has become a delicate topic. Fatal accidents in the US and other parts of the world, terrorism threats and non-fatal incidents have raised alarms in the different sectors of the society.
Emergence of New Aircrafts
Faster and more efficient jets, planes and air vessels have created room for further studies and developments. In the US, the emerging very light jet (VLJ) market could also put pressure on the industry’s reputation for safety.