Oil Rig Market Research
The oil industry is one of the biggest in the world, alongside other key players, such as finance, real estate, and construction. Most products and services rely heavily on this industry, from transportation to the manufacture of products.
The global oil industry raises trillions of dollars annually, making it an attractive investment. The relevant contributors to this industry are oil rigs.
In the United States alone, there are at least a thousand oil rigs—offshore and onshore, making them the top country with the highest number of rigs.
With continuous demand for fuel, investment in oil rigs will continue to soar. However, investing in the oil rigs market attracts an array of issues, which challenges investors in navigating through it.
What is Oil Rig?
Oil rigs, also known as oil platforms, are equipment or structure of extraordinary size that drills oil wells, extract petroleum and natural gases found beneath the seabed, and processes them.
This structure forms part of multiple facilities, catering to various instruments and workers. Although it has one goal, there are different types and designs of oil rigs — usually factoring in the location of the oil well.
Here are some types of oil rigs found all around the world:
- Fixed Platforms: has thick concrete and/or steel legs, directly built on the seabed; works best for long-term use.
- Jack-up Drilling Rigs: designed to move from one place to another; suitable for water depths of up to 390 feet.
- Spar Platforms: tethered to the seabed; uses mainly conventional mooring lines.
- Tension Leg Platforms (TLP): ideal for deepwater discoveries; ideal for water depths of up to 6,600 feet.
- Gravity-based Structure: anchored onto the seabed; works well at fjords.
Picking the right oil rig also depends on whether the oil well is offshore or onshore. Offshore oil rigs dig underneath the seabed, while onshore oil rigs extract from beneath layers of earth.
Benefits of Oil Rig Market Research
The oil industry is a complicated investment area to understand. Interestingly, most investors will hand their money in these oil rig markets because it has been consistently treated as lucrative.
However, it is not always the case as this market is also susceptible to economic downturns. To avoid taking a costly misstep, well-rounded oil rig market research comes into play.
For first-time investors, this research’s primary benefit is understanding how the oil rig market works. It answers the questions from how oil rigs are conceptualized to their everyday drilling routine.
The oil rig market research also guides investors in comprehending the difference between each oil rig and what are their financial standings. It aims to assure investors about the potential returns they can receive and to warn them of the possible issues and troubles of investing.
The oil rig market research will also widen the perspective of investors, giving them a bird’s eye view from the side of the business and shareholders.
It should be noted that this research comes in handy for business owners too. Most business owners need this as a tool to ensure the business decisions made are aligned with the company’s interest.
At the same time, it can provide a competitive edge, pioneering new steps, designs, and procedures for more effective production. And most importantly, the oil rig market research will make businesses perform risk-data management.
Trends and Opportunities for Oil Rig Market
The oil rig market has been in existence for a century, keeping steady growth throughout. It has proven to maintain value and is treated as a reserve by different developed and rich countries.
Investors and business owners might be interested to learn more about the trends and opportunities waiting for them in the market.
- Contrary to popular belief, investing in oil rigs is not only for the rich. Many oil-based companies offer their stock to the public, catering to a wider range of audience.
- The oil rig market is expected to grow even with unexpected economic hurdles due to continuous demand for fuel and fuel-based products.
- Businesses are anticipated to expand their businesses, increasing demand for skilled workers. It also translates to constructing new oil rigs, affecting the construction, financial, and real estate industries in the process.
- Overseas offshore oil rigs will continue to soar as new discoveries are located and studied.
Issues With The Oil Rig Market
Similar to other industries, the oil rig market has plenty of issues attached to it. It ranges from environmental to government policies. Although it is surrounded by intimidating concerns, investors are quite comfortable putting their money in one.
The oil rig market is seen as invincible with the continuous demand for fuel products, but it does not assure business sustainability. People still need to note the issues surrounding the market and weigh in on whether it is something that can work for them in the long run.
- Environmental Issues: This issue is quite a common problem raised against the industry. Oil rigs extract fuel used in services and products that contribute to the growing issue of pollution and the greenhouse effect. Unfortunately, even the process of extracting from oil wells produces toxic pollution in the water and the air.
- Wildlife Disruption: Besides pollution, the techniques and drilling of oil wells caused disruption to marine ecosystems and land quality. If the impact is not rehabilitated quickly, it can lead to further habitat destruction.
- Government Policies and Regulations: Each country has specific rules as to the operation of oil rigs. There might be also a citizenship restriction on who can invest in them. So, foreigners looking to invest might not be allowed.
- Health Concerns: Strict health requirements and protocols are enforced to protect the safety and health of oil rig employees. However, constant exposure to smoke and toxic fumes has inevitable adverse effects. It is a challenge for companies to prove that all employees are supervised and well-taken care of to at least minimize any potential health hazard.