Packaging Trends and Opportunities
A combination of factors are constantly being developed and introduced to the packaging world. Here are just a few trends worth monitoring:
- New materials
- green, biodegradable
- New designs
- New shapes
- New ways to open and reseal
- New ways to use automation/robots
- New inks and printing options
- Inclusion of RFID tags and embedded chips for security, tracking, and supply chain management
- Safety (e.g. pet, and child-proof)
Conducting Packaging Intelligence
The process of tracking innovations in packaging, monitoring moves by competitors, and conducting research among customers may be handled internally and/or with the assistance of a qualified research company.
Trade shows, conferences and various online searches or news letters are a great source of information about general trends in the packaging industry as well as specific applications across a variety of markets and insights about competition.
Meeting with and interviewing packaging companies in your supply chain is also an excellent way to maintain up-to-date knowledge about changes that could impact how your products are presented to customers.
In all cases, however, knowing the customer’s needs, perceptions, values and role in the buying process are all critical to a product’s success. Designing and creating a successful package will ultimately involve those who will consume and/or purchase the product it contains.
Primary research methods can be used to:
- Present concepts via online surveys or discussion panels of consumers to gain insights into their reactions to packaging images, designs and features.
- Expose prototypes in focus groups to critique and compare to current packages, new packages, and competitors’ packages.
About SIS Packaging Strategy Solutions
SIS is a leading Market Research and Strategy Consulting firm. We have over 35 years experience in conducting Packaging Research and Strategy. Our Research group conducts packaging testing, and our Strategy group conducts industry and competitive analysis. Our key solutions include:
- Usability Testing
- Focus Groups
- Customer Interviews
- In-Home Usage Tests
- In-Home and Store Ethnography
- Competitive Analysis
- Market Opportunity
- Packaging Trend Tracking