Market Research in Cote d’Ivoire
Cote d’Ivoire is French for the Coast of Ivory or Ivory Coast. This country has been growing its economy despite the instability of its political government. Its agricultural sector is thriving. Cote d’Ivoire produces palm oil, cocoa beans, coffee, yam, and cashews. Other exports are crude petroleum, rubber, refined petroleum, and gold.
The Ivory Coast has the largest fishing port in Africa for tuna. Their sardines supply is also high in stock.
There is much mining on the Ivory Coast. This mining has ensured its place as the 9th largest producer of manganese in the world.
The capital city of Cote d’Ivoire is the District of Yamoussoukro, which is north of Abidjan. This district is on rolling hills and plains.
Abidjan is the former capital of Côte d’Ivoire. It is the largest city and home to many commercial and banking centers. It is on several peninsulas and islands connected by bridges.
Cote d’Ivoire is hot and humid, and the streets are often full of street vendors. Despite that fact, Abidjan is the “Paris of West Africa ”. This title came about due to its universities, parks, and exotic fashions. It also has broad boulevards and museums.
There are many government departments in the city, including the one responsible for the national road system. It is also the end of the Abidjan-Niger Railway.
Once upon a time, Ivory Coast was a most peaceful country well on its way to becoming wealthy. Now it is recovering from the Ivorian Civil Wars, fought from 2002 to 2011.
Trends, Consumer Base
Television, radio, telecommunications, and print are all owned and controlled by the government. Freedom of speech in the media is not something that happens on Ivory Coast. The authorities often punish reporters and journalists for going out of line.
The Ivorians are very big on their food. They often use grains and tubers in their cuisines. The use of plantains and cassava plays a big part in their meals. Aitiu, which is a form of corn paste, is usually used when making cornballs. One of their main side dishes is Attiéké.
Ivorians eat lots of chicken. They also like to use seafood such as sardines, bonito, tuna, and shrimp.
Ivory Coast has made an impact on the international scene with its music. Artists such as AfroB, Meiway, Magic Systéme have placed Ivory Coast on the map for its music. The music genres differentiate based on the ethnic groups. Two of their distinctive features are their drums and vocal polyphony.
Strengths in the Market
- More than one-third of Ivoirians live in poverty, and child labor still exists. Still, there is an expansion of the middle class.
- Diversified resources: Cote d’Ivoire is rich in agriculture (cocoa, coffee, sugar, cashews. It is also the world’s largest rubber producer). The country also produces hydrocarbons and minerals (gold, copper, iron, manganese, and bauxite).
- Cote d’Ivoire is a part of the West African Economic and Monetary Union (WAEMU). This organization has a common currency, which keeps inflation in check.
- Infrastructure is in the modernization process.
- The country is making continuous improvements in the business and governance environments.
Reasons to Grow Your Business in the Market
- Agribusiness: Ivory Coast exports raw materials. There is potential for businesses wishing to process those materials within the country.
- The region imports the vast majority of its medical supplies. Thus, this sector has many opportunities, and as the population expands, the demand for healthcare will increase. Local diagnostics centers and clinics are still scarce. Affluent people often travel abroad for treatment. There is potential for the private sector to expand healthcare capacity.
- Education is another area of interest for investors. There is a shortfall in capacity and growing demand in this sector. Many members of the young population leave the educational circuit early with few qualifications. There are gaps in theoretical training and business needs. Businesses can establish training centers to close those gaps.
About Market Research in Cote d’ivoire
If you’re a business visionary who wants to work in Ivory Coast, SIS International Research is ideal for you. We arrange focus groups in different business areas in Africa and conduct Quantitative, Qualitative, and Strategy Research. We will collect essential information for you and your business. Market Research ensures your success.
We hope that we can provide you with a competitive advantage in Côte d’Ivoire.