Central Location Test (CLT) Market Research
CLT market research is a method of evaluating consumers’ attitudes and behaviors in a controlled environment. This kind of market research is performed in test centers to gain insights into customer choices, attitudes, and real-time behaviors in a highly monitored environment where behaviors can be analyzed in detail.
What is CLT market research?
It is a type of market research conducted in a predetermined environment such as a shopping center or testing labs to obtain details about buyer habits and preferences. Therefore, CLT market research must be conducted with the guidance of specialists to exclude bias and guarantee a successful outcome.
Unlike other varieties of market research such as online polls or in-home usage tests, CLT market research occurs in a managed atmosphere to provide a more authentic depiction of consumer behavior. By collecting data in a supervised environment, CLT market research delivers precise and significant insights into consumer preferences.
Benefits of CLT market research
- CLT market research is a critical tool for obtaining insights into purchaser attitudes and behaviors that could inform product design, branding, advertising, and market positioning decisions.
- It delivers valuable knowledge about buyer habits and viewpoints, which can help shape product development, branding, advertising, and market placement strategies.
- CLT market research helps companies in gaining the most out of their marketing operations. By understanding customer tastes and opinions, businesses can adjust their promotional materials and promotions to meet the desires of their target market.
- It provides a competitive advantage and a thorough understanding of customer behavior and motivations. This data can be utilized to strengthen business operations and strategies, allowing companies to get an edge in the industry.
- CLT market research is more cost-effective than other market research methods because the only major expense is the rental of the facility where research will be conducted.
- CLTs also enable researchers to gather “raw” data because they can observe participants’ body language and facial expressions.
- Researchers can formulate questions in real-time in response to participants’ reactions. As a result, researchers could capture the sensory experiences of the participants.
Limitations of CLT market research
- CLT employs a relatively small sample size of consumers, which may not be a true representation of the target audience as a whole. This could potentially limit the external validity of the results and call into question the accuracy of the findings.
- Due to the nature of the setting, participants may feel compelled to provide responses that are socially desirable, thus introducing a bias to the data.
- The test environment may not mirror the typical purchasing environment of the consumer, impacting the validity of the results.
- The time-sensitive nature of a CLT market research as well as the cost associated with conducting the test with multiple groups or a large sample size may limit the scope of data collected.
Methodologies for CLT market research
Central location tests present various methods of assessing the potential success of a product. The main types of tests include
- Paired comparison test: Participants compare two products at the same time according to certain criteria with the aim of evaluating which product is more widely accepted.
- Monadic test: Participants focus on a single product to evaluate its performance and ensure that the product is publicly accepted before launching it on the market.
- Sequential monadic testing: Participants evaluate two products, although at different times. Having assessed each product, participants are asked to re-evaluate them simultaneously to compare the advantages of both products – and then make a decision on which one might be more suitable for the market.
- Proto-Monadic Test: Participants evaluate a product first. Then, they are given a different product to compare with the first product.
- Repeat paired comparison test: Participants are instructed to compare a pair of products multiple times to ensure that the initial information provided was not biased.
The different iterations in the tests aim to suppress any subjectivity and bias by presenting the products at different times and sequences. Thus, the research participants show consistent results regardless of when the product has been tested.
Current Trends of CLT Market Research
- The use of virtual and augmented reality, big data, and artificial intelligence are allowing CLT research to become more sophisticated and expansive. Researchers are able to simulate real-world scenarios and generate comprehensive data that paints an accurate picture of customer behavior and preferences.
- There is a growing trend of companies working more closely with retailers to gather data on customer behavior and preferences. This collaboration allows companies to gain a more thorough understanding of the consumer.
- The use of CLT is becoming more prominent in assessing customer experience in real-world settings, granting companies with essential information on how their products and services are viewed by customers.
- This method can be used in new or emerging markets to gain an understanding of local consumer preferences and habits, thus allowing companies to modify their operations to better serve these consumers.
- CLT can be employed together with other research techniques, such as surveys and focus groups, to acquire a more in-depth knowledge of customer preferences and behaviors.
Future prospects of CLT market research
The prospects of CLT market research are looking bright as technology keeps advancing and customers become more and more informed. Companies are seeking to better understand the customer behaviors and preferences, and CLT research will probably remain a key element. In any case, some of the future trends of this research include the following:
- Use of virtual and augmented reality. This technology will allow companies to replicate real-life scenarios and have access to data concerning consumer tastes in a regulated atmosphere. This can bring a better understanding of customer behavior since the research can be done on a bigger scale with great cost-efficiency.
- Application of big data and artificial intelligence. Companies will be able to use this technology to examine large quantities of data obtained from CLT surveys, giving even more precise insight into customer behavior and preferences.
- Innovative testing methods: The CLT market research could adapt and grow, integrating unexplored techniques of testing, like biometric and physiological evaluations, to furnish a more comprehensive analysis of consumer behavior.
SIS International offers Quantitative, Qualitative, and Strategy Research. We provide data, tools, strategies, reports and insights for decision-making. We conduct interviews, surveys, focus groups and many other Market Research methods and approaches. Contact us for your next Market Research project.
Contact us for your next Market Research Project.
- Email direct: [email protected]
- Contact one of our global offices